Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Megan Meets her Teacher


Today was the 1st day of school for all the kids in 2nd-12th grade at ISB. Since Megan is in 1st grade, Jack, Kylie and I took Meggie in to meet her teacher this morning, fill out paperwork and see her classroom! We all took a taxi down and back-bet most of you can't say that about your kids first day of school :) Tomorrow Megan will ride the bus to school and back for her first full day and Kylie and I will take Jack to meet his Pre-K teacher! Then on Friday, both kids will take the bus there and back for their full days!

Poor Moo was so excited when she woke up this morning, but then got more and more sad as the hour went on before we left...she cried a couple of times and was pretty pitiful. She didn't want to wear "hot clothes" i.e. her uniform, didn't have a picture of me in her backpack and she wanted one and was just generally upset. I had to remind her that everyone at the school has to wear the same outfits, that she would be fine, that we would find a picture of our family for her to keep in her backpack and that I would write a note for her to keep in her backpack so she would know that I love her...then we got dressed. She seriously did not like her khaki skirt (which is admittedly too long - we'll have to get it hemmed) so we changed to her black skort. Then I took a picture of her and I together and asked Jack how we looked. He said, "You look like poopie." That set Meggie crying again...so we all sat on the couch and prayed for Meggie, that she would have a good day and a good teacher and not miss us. That seemed to make it a little better.

Her teacher, Ms. Yoo, is new to ISB from Hong Kong (originally from Seattle) and seems very nice! Besides the school uniforms (the polos, khaki or black bottoms purchased from the school and P.E. uniforms they wear on P.E. days) they also have to have a sun hat (purchased at the school) they wear outside or at P.E. and bring a water bottle for water throughout the day, since it's so hot here! Hopefully tomorrow will go better and she will enjoy being at the school and meeting friends!

The bottom pics here are of (a) Kylie sitting on our water dispenser here at the house (we can't drink the tap water, so the embassy provides bottled water for us. It rocks! It is ice cold when it comes out and so fun for the kids to get water whenever they want...and has hot, steaming water on the left - perfect for making tea easily, instant coffee or raman noodles!)! (b) Dan's hair and shirt when he walked in from work yesterday. He must have brushed up against some flowering bushes when he walked home from where the shuttle drops him off in our neighborhood. It was orange pollen all over his shirt, arm and hair! (c) a picture of our new, fun tv!

1 comment:

allapole said...

We were thinking of the kids wondering how their first day went. Sorry to hear she cried. I am sure she will make many friends soon. She is such a sweet girl. I am glad that Jack and her get to ride the bus. I am sure it will all be great and exciting for them.

Love,
April