Friday, August 1, 2008

Upholstery


On the 1st and 15th of every month, there's a shuttle that goes from our neighborhood to Dan's work, free of charge! Today, the kids and I took it and met Dan down there! I got to go to the housing office and submit our request to reupholster furniture, order carpets and other odds and ends! They have 5 books of furniture fabrics that you can choose from and 4 different color carpets (light blue, beige, gray or spearmint green). We chose to reupholster the sofa and loveseat in chocolate brown and the 2 armchairs and recliner in a light beige. We'll have a beige rug in the living room. The dining room chairs, we chose to do beige. Then, we can have a cane chair with the back and seat upholstered in each of the bedrooms...we chose a dark red for our room (blue carpet), a bright red for Jacks (blue carpet) and then for the girls I chose a material that looks like raw silk (likes these pillows), but is actually a polyester blend and it has elephants on them! Megan's will be a sun yellow (spearmint rug) and Kylie's (blue rug) will be a deep purple! The other thing we will get will be a chest to store shoe's downstairs (because you don't wear shoes in Thai homes...or ours. Even the movers wear flip flops so they can take them off before entering our house)! The shoe storage will be an aqua blue! I love color, and lots of it, but I figured that chocolate would be durable and kid-friendly and that we could do color with art on the wall, our lamps and pillows/throws. So, that's our craziness...I think I'll try to find some fun pillows and a throw for the sofas upstairs...maybe in a aqua, but i'm not sure...any thoughts?

2 comments:

Pauline said...

Hi Kristen!
It was nice talking with you and sounds as if you are enjoying everything so far. It's fun to be in a new place.. and nice to choose your colors. Sounds as if you are having fun starting to decorate. The kids sound happy. Being able to talk with you brings you closer... Love and have a terrific weekend... Mom xoxox

Susan said...

So fun! I would find some art for the walls and then match some throw pillows to the art. But then again, i got kicked out of design school so who wants my advice? ha, ha