Hey All,I got 2 emails quickly back from friends in the neighborhood commiserating with me on the dead gecko (and unwilling to offer help, which I understand). I got a call from my next door neighbor who volunteered her high school girl to come over when she got home from school to come and remove it - stating that Ashley did that kind of stuff all the time for her and wouldn't mind in the least! Ashley came over when she got home from school, slid it onto the piece of paper and tossed it in the garden outside. I thanked her profusely and sent her a card made by Megan later in the afternoon with money to get a pedicure. A win/win situation.
I'm in 39/862 and have a dead Gecko in my living room (i'm guessing it's dead...it won't move when poked). I was wondering if anyone would be willing to come and remove it for me. I don't know what the going rate is for dead Gecko removal, but whatever it is, I'm willing to pay it! Let me know if you are willing...
HOWEVER, an hour or so later I got a call from a neighbor. Now, I've met this neighbor 2x's before and had in-depth conversations with her. Once here in the neighborhood and once in the thai grocery store where we were the only 2 expats. So, with this in mind, she calls and laughingly asks if I had gotten the dead gecko taken care of yet. The whole time it sounds like she is barely keeping herself from bursting into laughter. She says, "Clearly you haven't lived in Asia before if you can't even handle a dead gecko". I'm in the middle of 14 different things and she's going on and on about how inept I am in handling dead geckos. She says at one point, "I just had the best chuckle reading through your email. I wanted to...no, no, that would just be rude." So I tell her to finish her thought - no worries. She says, "Well, this email was just too funny that I wanted to know if I could forward it onto other friends so they could get a laugh, too." And I'm like, "Sure, why not..." So, then she asks who I am exactly and where I live and states that we haven't ever met. I'm like, "(insert name here), we've met and had 10+ minute long conversations in both the neighborhood and Carrefour." And she clearly doesn't remember, which is kinda the icing on the dead gecko cake.
And I have to say that I've been, laughingly, asked 2x's more how my dead gecko is. From other people. I have to say, aside from A who has them in her house and possibly Bri and Sarah (who I don't remotely know if they have geckos), would you be willing to remove a dead gecko from your house? Oh, and if any of you are needing a name for your garage band? The Dead Geckos has a nice ring to it. Just FYI.
12 comments:
Kristen,
I sure can sympathize with you and am glad your neighbor came to the rescue. You wrote the account of this so well! It was very entertaining. I must say I got you and Dan each a mug with a gecko on it because they were so thai. I will give them to Goodwill! I am sure if Jack would have been home, he would have disposed of the gecko for you. Any sign of the other one yet?
So glad you shared this story with us. You're the best!
Love,
Mom
XO
Oh girl, this makes me want to smack that woman, and I don't even know who she is. :/
An interesting and funny story. Who are you, anyway?
Boyd
P.S.
Who could ever forget meeting you???????????????
Mom
Just wondering, if this is the same lady from the restaurant with the fan?!
a) Mom, we would love your gecko mugs! don't give them away!
b) No, this isn't the same lady as the one at Pum's with the fan :)
Kristen,
After reading your account, I realized that giving you gecko mugs would be like someone giving me mice mugs when I lived in Plattsburgh!!! But I sure will save them for you. They will make a good memory of your time in Thailand over the years.
Mom
K! you are so funny, Dave just caught one (on purpose) for our nephew over Easter and I told him you would freak out if you saw him holding a live lizard with his bare hands.
We had one in the tub (not on purpose)with Luke a few weeks ago and he thought it was cool. I have heard that they carry salmonella (just to add to your panic!)
Kristen,
Don't worry, you are allowed to "freak out" about a dead gecko. That would have done the same thing to me.. As far as the woman's reaction.. let it go right over your head. Just because you are in gecko territory doesn't mean you have to enjoy disposing of their remains!! Love you, Mom :o)
What?! No picture?! Haha!
I have an idea for next time. You guys have maintenance there right? Next time you have a dead gecko, make us something that needs to be done in the house. After they check it out, you can ask them, by the way, if they'd get rid of the gecko for you. You know, since they are there already.
Kristen,
I still enjoy going back and reading this account again (and again!). Lindsay - I loved your comment! This blog has had the biggest response of all time!
Love,
Mom
XO
Post a Comment