Monday, July 4, 2011

Road Trip #3 - Birmingham to Macon to St. Pete


We headed out from Nashville headed to Macon, GA (often referred to as the "heart" of Georgia) for 2 days :) I've been pestering Dan for 6 months to go through Alabama since we'd been fairly close to it - and really, how often would we ever get the chance to go to Alabama?!?! So, he finally relented and swung through Birmingham Alabama to have some lunch at a great restaurant (which might not be native to Alabama, but had great food) - Jim and Nicks! Dan had a barbeque ham sandwich, I had a pimento sandwich and the kids all had homemade mac and cheese - and of course sweet tea for Dan and I! I loved it and getting to see a bit of Birmingham :) Then we continued on to Macon!

We stayed in Macon 2 nights (at a great Holiday Inn Express - where a fist fight broke out during breakfast) in order to visit the Museum of Aviation at Robins Air Force Base, Warner Robins, GA! It was a great, free museum and we all loved it! Then we headed on to St. Petersburg, FL to visit Brian, Sarah and Max!

Woo Hoo Alabama!!! We stopped at the Welcome to Alabama Rest Stop and got out to take pictures!!!

Dan and kiddos posing in front of the Saturn IB launch vehicle, developed by the Marshall Space Flight Center in nearby Huntsville - at the Alabama Welcome Center :)

Glorious lunch at Jim and Nicks :)

Momma and Bugga

Walking through the Museum of Aviation - it was cool inside but blistering outside! The museum had a number of buildings we could walk through and 4o acres of planes outside you could view.

They got to do a flight simulation ride - and chose the video below...it was hydrolic and moved up, down, sideways, bumpy, swoopy...etc. I stayed out of it - I figured they didn't want me to puke.

Dan wanted to do the Gulf War strafing one in Iraq - the kids chose Wild Africa - and loved it!

Momma and the girls outside - it was hot.

Dan and the kids in front of a B-52

Outside of the gift shop, they had this fun tunnel to donate money - the kids loved it.

And a big fun plane in the sky from the local Air Force Base :)
Ahem - Dan corrected me - It's an E-8C Jstars plane :) I love my husband.
And now we've all been to Alabama!

No comments: