Monday, September 22, 2008

Front Door Project

Okay, since we got our stuff 2 1/2 weeks ago, I have wanted to repaint this sign I bought at a craft fair in Nags Head when I was in college! I think it used to hang up at Clover Valley, but I haven't liked it in a while. It is a nice piece of slate, though, and already is strung up. So, as soon as we got it and all my craft supplies, I sat down one night and painted it. This is what it turned out like: p.s. the before picture is not the actual sign...I forgot to take a before picture of it, but found this one on the internet...the design was the same as mine, though! (p.s. no comments on how my new sign is lopsided - I painted it free-hand and didn't have the desire to go back and redo it after it was done)!

Before


After


Then, I also had an old metal milk can that used to by my Nana Peggy's. We had it in Malone, but never put it out there or Blacksburg. It wasn't until Leesburg that I repainted it from rusted cream to colonial red. It looked great on our porch at Spencer Terrace. Then, since it was in need of spray paint, I spray painted it black (sadly a gloss, since that's all I can find right now in Thailand - i was just excited to find spray paint at all)!

Before

After

So then, we tried to hang the sign up Saturday. After approx. 20 minutes of frustration for Dan (and me by association), we finally had to email out our neighbors because we kept bending nails and they wouldn't go in. Our walls are all concrete, not drywall. We were informed that we need a masonry drill bit and concrete nails to hang up anything in our house. So, after Kylie and I trekking to our local HomePro, we bought them and I hung it up today! It looks okay, but is slightly too small for the space. It's ridiculous how large our house is!

Before
After

1 comment:

Jenkins said...

Crafty, crafty! Great idea to give the things a face lift! Makes it like new!