Monday, October 12, 2009

Halloween Costumes Early


Dan's office had a Halloween party on Saturday night. Jack set the tone of our Halloween this year by declaring that he wanted to be Santa. Just let that sink in for a minute. SANTA for Halloween. I thought it was so funny! Megan then said she wanted to be an Elf. And Kylie, never one to follow the crowd, wanted to be a Ballerina...not with a poofy skirt, but with a straight skirt.

So, we set to work trying to figure out how to make/buy a Santa costume and have it ready for Saturday night. I found 3 pairs of Women's size Medium red fleece pants at an Export store here for $2USD each. I bought them up and pieced them together to get Jack's Santa costume! It was so fun trying to figure out everything...I'm not a perfectionist with sewing. I don't measure, I don't pin...I just sew. So it's fine for me, but probably would be an issue if I ever tried to sell my sewing :) This was my first time doing anything other than sewing a blanket or such. I had to make sleeves, sew them on, make the collar, make the jacket, then sew the trim on. Oh! And I got to make the hats for both Megan and Jack from scratch...including making Jack's puffball top to the hat! Can you tell I'm proud of it, I think they turned out so cute! (FYI he did not want a beard or glasses!)

Megan's elf costume we found piece by piece...the tank top ($0.60USD), shoes ($5.80USD), pants ($2.94USD), legwarmers ($1.17USD)...for a grand total of $10.51USD for all NEW things! But for sure, we had to look in some crazy places to find the things we needed...and be willing to think of things in a new way.

Kylie's outfit we fished out of our dress-up bin about an hour before the Halloween party! They all looked adorable and we had a fun night!



Dan's and my attempt at "Halloween" colors together...no costumes for us!
And as a last and final note, so it actually looks like it might actually be Halloween...I present my friends toes...she couldn't make up her mind what design to get, so each piggy toe is a different design!!!

7 comments:

Bev and Boyd said...

So that was what all of Jack's red material was for. With the peek you gave us the other day all I could think of was that he was going to be a big red tomoto! You actually are quite an amazing seamstress - anybody can sew with a pattern!
Meg's outfit came together great! Good job on scouting it all out.
Kylie looks adorable as always.
And I am looking forward to having very fancy tootsies in the near future!
Happy Halloween!!!!!!
Boo!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa said...

Kristen!
You are a natural seamstress :)
I love the costumes! They look great...and I love the kids happy faces!
Melissa

Pauline said...

Kristen, I am so proud of you! You did an amazing job with the kids costumes, but, more importantly, you had fun and they will always remember you making their costumes!! The three of them are adorable.. bet they had a fun time at the party.
I know you are so happy to have Danny home again.. We sure are looking forward to seeing him soon.
By the way, Dad and I were discussing today whether you have pumpkins over there??
Our love to all of you, Mom xoxo

Courtney said...

you are amazing! i love their costumes!

allapole said...

Awesome ideas and awesome sewing Kristen. I need to send you my sizes and get you to make me a costume. I love their ideas. Totally love Kylie going her own way. Too cute. We miss you guys. It is starting to feel like fall here.

April

Mommy said...

Very Creative idea on Jack's part! I think that is so cool myself. And you did a great job on making it. I am not a perfectionist either. It makes sewing a bit more enjoyable that way.

Julie said...

that is so cool, my mom just sent the boys outfits and they have been wearing them NON STOP...lol