Monday, October 18, 2010

Amazing Race

Two weekends ago, our church put on the Amazing Race - season five! They had planned on doing it this past May (like they have the 4 years before that) but due to the political unrest downtown, they postponed it until October! High schoolers formed 20 teams of 4 kids each for their teams. Each team had to come up with a team uniform and a team name :) It began on Saturday at 3pm and went until around 7pm that night, then the kids spent the night downtown at another church (with chaperones) and resumed the rest of the Amazing Race at 7am on Sunday and finished between 9am and 10am back here in Nichada! They got to do approx. 20 different challenges and rode in cars, water taxis, real taxis, tuk tuks, the subway and the sky train! The challenges ranged from having to find buried golfballs in sand (which the kiddos and I got to help run), to finding landmarks in Bangkok, to purchasing the ingredients for, making and eating Som Tom salad, purchasing and eating a pigs tongue (!) to setting up a tent properly :)

Dan wasn't here to help out, but the kiddos and I got to help fun 2 events, one each on Saturday and Sunday mornings! Kylie and I also got to help fold papers and help do administrative stuff to get prepared for it! We had a blast helping out and I know the high school students had an even better time! The race ended on Sunday at the church, where we had a service for the Amazing Race kids and presented them each with a prize, as well as the winners with their own iPod touches each and the 2nd and 3rd runner up teams with iPod shuffles! It was a great time!



4 comments:

Bev and Boyd said...

So glad you and the kids got involved in that. Sounded like a great affair. It was fun to read the team names. XOXOXOXOXO

TiffS said...

I like the Thai Dye team :)

Pauline said...

You always seem to have fun things to do and share in. So good for the kids to do volunteer work... they learn alot that way! Love, Mom/Grammy xoxo

Megan said...

I think this is awesome. And I wouldn't want to help run the event...I would totally want to participate. Except maybe for the pig tongue. I love this TV show.