Friday, April 22, 2011

Last(ish) thing Checked off


So the last(ish) thing to check off our bucket list of things to do before we leave Thailand was for me to have tea at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel downtown with Amy! (I would still love to take the kids snorkeling here in Thailand, but with Megan's broken arm, that will have to wait).

We went last weekend and it was wonderful! Amy's driver, Khun Ong drove us and dropped us off. We walked around the hotel some inside because I had never been there - walked through the restaurants to the water and talked for a bit, then made our way to the Author's Lounge (aptly named for the famous author's who have stayed at the Oriental including Joseph Conrad)! We were able to choose between the Traditional or Oriental Tea set and both chose the Traditional. Amy chose the Earl Grey French Blue and I chose The au Tibet tea - it was wonderful...citrusy with hints of rose...and an amazing spread of treats, amazing scones and sandwiches! It was a great time to talk without kids running around and a great time with a great friend!

Amy and I on the waterfront at the Oriental - it was overcast, but fun to look out

Amazing staircase in Author's Lounge

The menus for tea - made to look like books

Traditional tea menu - so much yummy food!

Tea :)

Our tea choices - I think they had something like 35 different choices of tea

Rock crystal sugar...which I used in my tea!

Amazing selection of foods...

Delicious scones

Beautiful decorations in the front of the hotel

Amy and I at the end of the day!

3 comments:

Pauline said...

There is nothing better than sharing tea with a good friend.. Kristen, I am so glad that you made so many nice friends in Bangkok.. you will have many wonderful memories to last a lifetime.. Know you will miss Amy when you leave. Glad you had the opportunity to have tea together.. xoxo

Bev and Boyd said...

How fancy! So glad you got to do another outing on your wish list and that you had such a very special friend to share it with.
The place looked gorgeous and so did both of you! Loved the book menus. XO

Tricia F said...

That looks so pretty! Glad you were able to do that. :)