Saturday, May 2, 2009

He's HOME!!!

Dan got home this morning safely - after being gone 5 weeks and 4 days too long!!! We are so glad to have him home, to say the least. We had a good morning of us telling him and showing him everything the kids and I have done or gotten in the last 5 1/2 weeks and him showing us the presents he brought back for us! Among other things, he purchased a beautiful hand carved wooden bowl and stand. The stand is all carved from one piece of wood, with interlocking camels and the bowl then sits on it. Beautiful. He got the kids each a treasure box (we now have them from a couple of different places and they are all so fun), a cricket bat just because, a miniature afghan rug, a larger one of Afghanistan, a Christmas ornament, a beautiful hand carved jewelry box for me and a beautiful set of necklace and earrings for me, too!


And, he also got me another present that he prefaced with: "It's something you collect." In my mind, I was thinking, "What do I collect, what do I collect?" Then he was like, "You collect Nativity Sets, don't you?" And I was like, "Oh, yes, I do!!!" I couldn't think of anything I collect, but I do have 8 or so Nativity scenes and I love them! He bought me a brass set with all the characters - Jesus, the manger, Mary, Joseph, the Angel, shepherds, Wise Men, Camel, sheep, cow....for $10USD total! So fun and might just stay on display all year round!

After the morning, we took a taxi to JJ Mall (again, 3rd time in a couple of weeks) on the lookout for my flowers and thai vase I desperately want. After hours of searching (thanks Tricia for the tip about the bottom floor) and employing my husband in one of the things he does best (methodically searching in a grid pattern), we FOUND THEM!!! I'll post more pics of our day and weekend tomorrow, but we got the flowers, the vase, a small travel suitcase for Dan (because he has an addiction to luggage) and a funny item. I found this perfect item as a gift for a friend back in the states on a street corner and was so excited about getting it for them. It's not really "thai" but it was made here in Thailand and I think they will like it. But, after purchasing it and looking on the bottom, it has an IKEA stamp on it and says "IKEA - made in Thailand." Too funny and must have been some that didn't make it to the store. I also purchased frames last weekend for 80B or $2.28USD that were Target brand, but made in Thailand. Cracks me up. Not too shabby.

4 comments:

Pauline said...

So glad that Danny made it home safely. He really spent some time thinking about your gifts. But, I know the biggest gift for all of you is to have him home. Yeah Danny! Enjoy your time together.. can't wait to see your vase and flowers when you post them!
Have a terrific day.. Love you all, Mom xoxox

Bev and Boyd said...

Dear Ones,
So glad you are all back together. Great hearing your voice on the phone today Dan! What shopping bargains you picked up (and so thoughtful)and so glad you found those flowers you've been on the hunt for Kristen!
Have big fun on your mini vacation and enjoy every minute together!
Love,
Mom
XOXOXOXOXO

Tricia F said...

Yay!!! Welcome home, Dan!!! And I'm SOOO glad you found the flowers eventually. Love and miss y'all.

allapole said...

I am so glad you guys made it. That is a long time away. Enjoy being a reunited family again!!

Love you,
April