Friday, September 18, 2009

TP and Teacher Work Days

Kylie and I normally do our grocery shopping for the week on Monday mornings at 9am - the exact time the grocery store opens. Less people, we get done quicker and we're home. Generally when we get home, I'll bring in the groceries...except for non-perishables, which wait in the car until Dan gets home. This week it was 2 large things of toilet paper. This is what ensued by Dan bringing the toilet paper inside...
I was in the kitchen making dinner when Megan came in out of breath and explained that on a window in our living room - which is way up high and has a big ledge (that Dan secretly wishes he could jump to)...is a roll of toilet paper - stuck! Apparently Dan thought it would be funny to to throw them at the kids so they could put them upstairs under sink cabinets...but Jack wanted to throw one back at him and it landed on the window ledge. They had to get a broom handle to reach out over the top of our stairs and fish it off. Then toilet paper baseball, and toilet paper outfits ensued...here is Dan pretending to be the White Witch from the Chronicles of Narnia's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the scene where she fights either Edmund or Peter with 2 swords...nice.

So I mentioned The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? We decided to read it as a family and finished it last week. The kids loved it and made some great correlations/had some great thoughts about it. At one point, Megan said, "So Aslan died willingly - eventhough he didn't have to - for Edmund, just like Jesus died on the cross for us!" I told her I can remember being in Summer Campaigners in Franklin Oaks and finally making that same connection and no one knew what I was talking about because they hadn't read it! She's a quick one, that Moo.

This one, on the other hand...she fell asleep for the last 2 chapters of the book, so she missed that Aslan came back to life.

So Dan bought the movie and we watched it together as a family (with lots of scary parts fast-forwarded by Dan while little hands covered up eyes). Kylie finally got to see that Aslan comes back to life and defeats the White Witch...if you haven't read the books in the Chronicles of Narnia - here's my plug. You can borrow them at ANY library and they are AMAZING! I always think of the conversation/quotations that A and I got on in Austin right after church...C.S. Lewis is an amazing author and makes his books come to life. Okay, enough of a plug. But seriously, they are good.
We've had other things going on this week...like 2 teacher work days, Dan getting measured for his very own tux (so he can take me to a ball!), a cookout with the church and lunch out with friends...Lord willing, we'll head to our favorite Croc Farm tomorrow with friends, their 4 kids and their other friend who is staying with them! We've done the Croc Farm as a family, the Croc Farm with Matt and Tricia and are now attempting the Croc Farm with 7 kids total. Lord willing, we won't lose anyone or lose any fingers. Although we are going with a family where the Mom wanted to be a HIPPO when she grew up :) We'll keep you posted, I'm sure!

2 comments:

Pauline said...

You know what? I love that Danny has such a fun imagination~ the kids will always remember Daddy doing crazy things with them! Very interesting to hear Moo's correlations ~ she IS quick..
Sounds like a fun day at the Croc farm.. hope you have a fun time and enjoy your four day weekend..
Looking forward to hearing about your day... Love and Kisses to all, Mom xoxoxo

Bev and Boyd said...

I want to live at your house - it is too fun all the time!!! And what neat things you do together!