Friday, October 21, 2011

The 5th Broken Arm in our Family

Belongs to our littlest. I'm not sure what to say about it. Between Megan's 4 broken arms in her lifetime and now Kylie's broken arm, I'm fairly sure that we would have gotten a visit from Child Protective Services if we were in the States.

In her carseat on the way to the hospital - Daddy tied her pink blankie as her sling to keep her arm immobile. She was so tired and asked if she could fall asleep.

We were hosting an office dinner at our house - Dan and I were eating dinner at the dining room table when Kylie came running to me crying and holding her arm. I could tell it was clearly broken. No one saw her fall or knew what happened. She explained after she stopped crying that she fell in the kitchen. She went in there to look for M&M's that I had put out with dessert, but I had carried them out to the dining table. She doesn't know how she fell and said that she didn't trip or slip on anything. She just fell. She thinks she might have fallen on her knees. The poor girl.

So, we had 14 adults at our house and 2 little 1 1/2 year olds. It was 8:30pm. Dan's manager, Barb, stayed at our house with everyone, Megan and Jack. She put our big kids to bed and I'm assuming cleaned up dinner because it was all put away when we got home at 10:30. We took Kylie to a local hospital, got x-rays done and met with the orthopedist. He said that it was definitely broken and a nasty break - both bones in her forearm in different places (unlike Megan's last one that was almost the same break in both arms). He said he needed to set it - that we could do it the easy way or the hard way. The hard way being that he would put her under anesthesia and admit her for the night. Then without me knowing it was going to happen - he snapped her bones back into place - she SCREAMED, I about threw up and it looked much better and straighter. He cast it and then we got another x-ray done, got a sling and headed home. She has said that it doesn't hurt - but did ask for Tylenol this morning.

She has a bright yellow cast and has done well today - she's exhausted and frustrated that she has a cast, but she's done well.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh no! We are praying for you Kylie! We hope you feel better soon. So thankful you had friends around to help you Kristen when this happened.
melissa

Pauline said...

My poor little Kylie Bug! So sorry this happened to you but you will do okay. We are praying for you and hoping you will be feeling better very soon. Lots of hugs and kisses are coming your way. Love you, Grammy xoxoxoxo

Bev and Boyd said...

Kylie,
Please try not to catch up to your sister's record. Glad it's your left arm and that it happened on your weekend so that you have a couple of days to rest before school on Sunday. I am wondering if you were able to be a part of Jack's birthday party today. We love you! Mom Mom and Pappy XOXO

Tricia F said...

oh my goodness. poor Kylie! what a way to get settled into a new country.