Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Virginia Reel

 Jack and the rest of the fourth grade got to show the parents the Virginia Reel as part of their American Education Week!  When Jack found out about it a couple of weeks ago, he exclaimed that this was the worst thing in his life.  I asked why.  He replied loudly, "Because I'm a fourth grade BOY!"  :)  I guess 10 year old boys don't think dancing is so much fun...in front of everyone!  

Well, the other funny thing is that he has somehow finagled not having to dance at the front of the line yet.  Their music teacher asked yesterday if anyone had not had a chance to be at the front of the line.  He raised his hand and she informed him that he would be FIRST tomorrow :)  I was glad, because then I got to see him sashaying down and sashaying back.  When it was done, any parents that wanted to could come down and learn it too - so I did with Jack!  I'm not sure he was thrilled to have to do it more - but he was a good sport and had a smile on his face the whole time...except when he thought the cool boys were watching him ;)

I'm a HUGE fan of the Virginia Reel - we've grown up doing it in Young Life and then being a part of Blacksburg Young Life (and their soft shoeing) and also because I volunteered for a year with the Blacksburg Fire Department helping teach kids what to do in an emergency and/or fire and the events were always at fairs in southwest Virginia...which takes their Virginia Reeling and "Rocky Top" seriously!  We did it at our wedding, then at Michael and Heather's wedding.  Dan and I taught Megan's 2nd grade class how to do it for International Week in Bangkok, too!  Glad Jack can carry on the tradition!

 Getting ready to peel back

 And forming a tunnel

Do-si-do-ing

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Whether or not Jack knows it, he is a natural at dancing. Uncle Johnny would be proud of him. When we were young, my Mom made us take dancing so he would get some rhythm. He hated it but did learn how to dance!!! Love you, Jack!!! Xoxo