Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Bookshelf

I realized last week that we still had maybe 6 boxes of kids books in boxes downstairs - the only boxes we hadn't opened yet.  That meant, that while my big kids had read through most of them, Kylie hadn't had a chance to get into our stash of chapter books or just kids books to read for fun!  I decided I needed a bookshelf for the bottom of our staircase in the basement.  We have a landing there that's a decent size and not really being used for much - so I went out looking at the new Habitat ReStore and Salvation Army.  I didn't really find anything I liked.  I had to run by Benjamin Franklin that is closing it's doors after 34 years of being open.  They are selling EVERYTHING - fixtures included!  They had the above shelf for sale!  I took it's measurements (because I always carry a measuring tape, thanks to Grandad) and talked to Dan when I got home about it!  He said to buy it!  I went back the next day and got it - and a nice man put it in the car for me!  

I got home at 1pm and hauled it into my kitchen, wiped it down and went to work painting it!  It took two coats of Annie Sloan's Provence Chalk Paint, but it looks so cute now!  (I also managed to yank off one side of the top of the bookshelf getting it out of my car - so Dan and Jack used some wood glue and nails to fix it and it's sooo sturdy now)!

Before

Side view

Other side view

Two undry coats of Annie Sloan

 Other view!

 Situated at the bottom of the stairs (with a few books on it - we still have 4 boxes to go through)!

 And the view walking down the stairs!  I love it!

No comments: