Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pray for Us & the Big Move

I think this move to the new house 1 mile away from our current house is actually more stressful and hard on the kids. Jack will be moving into his own room (at least, that's the plan)...he's not thrilled. He's been in Moo's room since he was 2 1/2. He loves sharing a room with her and, at this point, would do it for the foreseeable future if Megan didn't want her own room.

Megan will be sleeping in a queen-sized bed in her new room and burst into tears the other day at the new house when we were asking her where she wanted her bed positioned. She currently has a sliding glass door that leads out to a patio and the view is essentially of all of Bangkok. When there are fireworks in Bangkok (which is surprisingly frequent) she can see them from her window. She likes her "view". She is sad we have to move because her new view will be of the gigantic house behind us. A very pretty gigantic house, but still - a house. I told her we'd take a couple of pictures of the "view" when she gets home today from school. She told me it wouldn't be the same. I had to agree with her.

And Kylie. She seems fine at the moment about moving - we've explained everything in our house will come with us - her toys, her chair, her blankies, her stuffed animals, her furniture. But I'm not okay with the bedroom. It has 2 window-things in her new room. One is 10 glass blocks (like in showers or bathrooms) that let in light, but you can't open (and they didn't put curtains over it, so it's way bright in there). And the other window is about 10 inches wide and very tall. It doesn't open at all and is separated in the middle by a metal frame. So, essentially no easy 2nd way out of her room (although we have figured out that since Thai men are so small in stature and height, a Thai firefighter could fit through her skinny window if he needed to).

It's fine (I sound like A). I think we'll be okay, but I think this move will be harder on the kids (and me) than moving halfway around the world has been. Mostly because we made the assumption that we would be in the current house for 3 years and wouldn't have to move again. And maybe because we didn't really get too sentimental about leaving the States because we knew we'd be back. We've been pretty sentimental about moving out of this house...we have loved it and it has been fun to host House group here, chase kids around in and be able to say something from the basement and have it be heard all the way upstairs because everything echos! And I will miss the way we hear Kylie's feet on the floor upstairs on Saturday mornings when we get her out of bed and she runs into Moo and Jack's room...you know how people talk about "the pitter patter of little feet?" Well, try a 2 or 3 year old on pergo floors...it's a good sound :)

And I know we'll make new, wonderful memories. The new house is great, beautiful and the carpets fit perfectly. Dan's beyond excited about it and the kids like running all over it. It has neat closet organizers. It will be great...just different. Please pray for our transition to be smooth....

2 comments:

Tricia F said...

I love your current house too, so it's understandable that y'all are getting sentimental. We will be praying though, that the transition goes better than expected!

Andrea said...

You know what they say about making assumptions....
Is that on the movie mix?