Monday, February 16, 2009

Color!



Okay, so if you know me at all, you know I love color! Growing up, I went through the standard pink phase as a little girl, then I loved aqua and turquoise in elementary school, then just blue. Any shade. And I hated red, orange and brown. I still hate red (sorry A and sorry Sarah - i did love your bridesmaids dress, though) and I really desperately hated orange and brown until the last 7 months. And now? Well, pretty much anything pink or polka-dotted and I definitely am loving orange and brown! I think it had to do with the nice chocolate brown of our sofas and the fun orange and yellow rug we got for our kitchen...they started it all. Now I'm fairly obsessed with orange and brown (and anything pink or polka-dotted).

I had to paint our "S" Saturday night. It's been red to match our headboard in our bedroom (which matched our bedding we registered for our wedding - when I asked Dan what colors he wanted for our bedroom, he said, "red, white and blue...and no flowers" - i found him a red, white and blue plaid comforter at eddie bauer home and got that - with matching flowered sheets - it's all about compromise - and desires, not expectations). Anyway, we had never hung the "S" up, so I decided to paint it orange and put it in our china cabinet with a starfish. :) And we have started slowly hanging up stuff...this cute picture i originally bought for Kylie and fell in love with it and couldn't put it upstairs, so it's in our kitchen...and i couldn't figure out what else it needed...until I pulled out the new sign from Dan's Mom for Christmas! Perfect! And we hung up plates on the sides of the bookshelves in our kitchen/dining room! Oh, and that jar? We have loose change we need to use to buy milk from the milkman every other day. Dan washed out a nacho cheese dip jar and said we could use that until I figured out something "cute"! Kylie and I decorated it with ribbon this morning and it's adorable! And makes me happy to see it :) Yay for color in a white-walled house (hmmm, that might have to change soon...at least our t.v. room. With chocolate sofas, what color should we paint it? Any thoughts?)

3 comments:

Bev and Boyd said...

Kristen, You certainly have a flair for decorating! Not only do you love color but you know how to work with it. You are providing such a happy home for your precious family with all your little touches! Loved everything!
Love,
Mom
XO

Tricia F said...

I love your reference to iMarriage. Also, I think light blues or greens (not quite pastel but light) would be fun in that room... especially since the couches are brown. :)

TiffS said...

I was going to say blue with the brown, but now I'm going to agree with Tricia (she's my new friend) and say green too!
4 months to go until we see you again!