Sunday, October 19, 2008

Friends, Shopping, Sideboards and Curtains

We had a good weekend. Megan had a bowling birthday party to attend on Saturday, so Dan took her to it and then hung out at the shopping center with Kylie and Jack! They got to eat Burger King and share a Banana Split! I, however, went shopping with friends to the Impact Center's Export Sale! So fun and a shoppers dream! I only got through 1/2 of the building between 10:45am and 2:15pm. Insane, no? But, I did find a beautiful pink and gold Thai silk swath of fabric with fringe that could be used for either a table cloth or bedspread, or if you are 6 1/2 and 2 1/2 for dress up - for the girls for Christmas! And a cute picture of a little girl and a little boy dressed in Thai outfits "wai-ing" (bowing). I think Meggie will love it for her room for Christmas!

And, for me, I found a great fun kitchen rug for $5.80 and pretend fruit for our sideboard in the dining room (which I love - green apples and mangosteen's)! The rug is fun, comfy and perfect for our kitchen! The tile floor is tough on your feet standing there doing dishes and I've been looking at purchasing a rug online, but they end up being almost $30 by the time you factor in shipping, so I was THRILLED when I found this rug for 200 Baht!


This past week, I also painted the frame of the Dan and Kristen "Love is patient" verse that my mom's friend, Mrs. Scott, made us for our wedding. The previous frame was light blue and white...and this fits in so nicely with our decor! And, I also painted the Faith, Family and Friends words that Dan's grandfather designed and made for us! He's a great woodworker and made it originally in a long row to stand up on a shelf, but it was so fragile that it broke into multiple pieces. We pieced them back together, painted them black to hide the glue and put them on our serving stand and I love it! The other fun thing is the cute pumpkin tassel on the lamp - I purchased a pear tassel for another part of our house off etsy the other week and she sent me the pumpkin tassel as a bonus because we are overseas! Isn't that the sweetest thing?

Saturday night, we had friends over to dinner (and our first dinner guests since being in Thailand)! So fun! Not only were they fun to hang out with, but they love Settlers of Catan and Tricia loves Robin Jones Gunn. What more could we ask for? And, we got to play a round of Settlers (Tricia won, but we'll get over it).

Then, the other news is that I (really Dan did most of the work) put up our kitchen curtains last night! We've had this fabric that I love for more than 4 years. FOUR YEARS!!! I had promised the blog that I would have them up by October 1, but I think October 19 is pretty good considering the amount of time I've had intentions to put them up (repeat- FOUR YEARS). I love them! And, hopefully I can finish decorating our kitchen today.

7 comments:

TiffS said...

I love the curtains! And everything else too :)

Tricia F said...

we LOVED hanging out with you guys too and look forward to many more nights of hanging out.
the curtains are awesome!
p.s. I've already read 1 1/2 of the books you let me borrow. such good memories!

Anonymous said...

UN SALUTO DALL'ITALIA! CIAO

Courtney said...

love it all!!! the tassel, the curtains, thanks for all the pictures!!

Pauline said...

Your curtains are so cute.. and I love all your other great "finds". Sounds like fun shopping in Bangkok.. glad you are enjoying it over there. Love to the kids and Danny. Love, Mom

Susan said...

The curtains look great-how did you hang them to look so cute-you'll have to give us directions!

Anonymous said...

curtains look great sparked a lot of comments which is so fun