-While going through the airport after arriving in Dulles, we explained to Kylie that we would have to walk through the terminal, ride on the tram thingies that look like they should be in Star Wars, then go to Customs and wait in a long line before we could get our bags and finally see Uncle Matt. I think I talked through the whole scenario about 3 times. As we wind our way through the long, long line at Customs, we finally get to be the next one in line and Kylie starts fussing that we haven't seen the lions yet. And I'm like, "Lions?" And she's like, "Yeah, you said we were going to see the Lions!" Finally it dawns on me that earlier on the tram/Star Wars thing she had asked about elephants and I blew it off because I had no idea what she was talking about. And then I realized that I need to clarify things and said, "Oh honey, there aren't any LIONS here, just that we would have to wait in a lot of LINES." (She brings this up every couple of days and tells me, "Remember when I thought you said LIONS?" - and giggles...it was only a month ago.)
-Dan's Dad died in October 2000. His headstone is in Long Lake, NY alongside his father and grandparents. We like to stop through there on the way from the Farm to the Beach to see it. On the way to the cemetery, we're explaining to the kids what we are doing and the big kids kind of understand it, but Kylie exclaims from her car seat, "I've never met your Father before - I'm excited to meet him!" So cute and so sweet and so sad. We then had to explain that we wouldn't be meeting him there at the cemetery...just that that is where his headstone is. Poor girl probably thought we had been keeping Grandpa from her for years :(
-Then on that same note - whenever we passed a cemetery the rest of the time in the States, which happened at least 2x's, she would say, "There's where Grandpa livess." We tried to explain the first time that he's not there, he's in Heaven and the second time we just let it go.
-While we were in the States, Dan's Great Aunt passed away. We were thankful that we were able to be there to attend her funeral, drove Dan's Mom and took our 3 kids with us. They were really about as good as they could be during the service, considering they were the only children, we had driven 3 hours to get there that morning and they had to be quiet. Later that week, Jack kept referring to it as the "Festival" instead of the "Funeral". We decided that Aunt Ada wouldn't have minded it one bit.
-The last night in the States, we had pizza (except for me, I got Anita's takeout) at my brother's house with my whole family. Jack still refers to that night as his favorite pizza ever (sausage and black olive courtesy of my Dad) and keeps calling it the "Pizza Party". "Remember that Pizza Party we had at Cole and Mary Kate's? That was the best pizza!"
4 comments:
They are all so adorable and great you have them in writing so they will always be remembered. I love thinking of Aunt Ada's funeral as a festival. Out of the mouths of babes...
Enjoy your last couple of days of summer vacation kids!
Had a good laugh reading and remebering these sayings! Can't wait to see you all in the morning, I miss you and love you!!!!!
Love, Daddy (Tweeter)
Don't you love what kids come up with and how they view things?? Had me smiling! Mrs. Buzby's party was so fun and fun for Dad and I to put names to faces in your family, Dan. Loved meeting all of your family.(Not to mention that the trip to the bakery was so fun, too!)
That's what I miss ~ the kids and the things they say.
Love to all and I know you are counting the hours til Danny gets home ~ Love to all... Grammy xoxox
That is so cute.
I love the LIONS!
And the festival...very sweet.
And sunscreen. Our Luke calls it gun scream (he might not be our brightest one...just kidding). But Carter had bad reactions to many sunscreens and it can get ugly. We ended up with Clinque and as he got older it is not so bad and we can kind of use coppertone for babies and we must wash it off soon after. Let me know what you do.
Post a Comment